Saturday, October 26, 2013

Film Review # 9: "Neon Genesis Evangelion"

Well, friends, I done did it.



After several years of knowing about the show (and sorta wanting to watch it), I decided to plunge headfirst into the world of Neon Genesis Evangelion. And although I've only watched the first 2 episodes I think I'm already hooked.




For the unaware, Neon Genesis Evangelion is an anime set in 2015 about a neo-Tokyo society where "angels" (actually, giant monstrous creatures that destroy everything) run rampant, and it is up to the Eva unit of NERV (a robotics combat unit of the UN) to fight them using giant combat robots. The protagonist, Shinji, is the son of the head of NERV, Gendo Ikari, and is forced by his father to partake in these robot combats by piloting the robot Eva-01.



From what I can tell, Shinji and his father have a very strained relationship, obviously centered around some trauma or abuse (as evidenced from Shinki's erratic snippets of flashbacks). I'm excited to see where this anime goes. It's great already, and I hope it just gets better from here (well, people tell me it does, let's see if it holds up like that). I'm probably going to do another film review for it when I actually finish the series. A proper film review, what a nuance for this blog.
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment