Sunday, September 15, 2013

Anime Review: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

GENRE: Sci-fi/Mech



STUDIO: Gainax




DISTRIBUTOR: Manga Entertainment



NO. OF EPISODES: 27



SUGGESTED AGE: 13+



MY RATING: 7/10



SUMMARY: Simon and Kamina are two comrades-in-arms living in an underground city.One day, a giant robot's head crashes into their city, followed by a beautiful gun-toting woman named Yoko. They join her in the fight against the Spirals.



REVIEW: Gainax and I don't have a good history.Neon Genesis Evangelion was excellent, but End of Evangelion didn't measure up.As for FLCL, I don't like it at all.So what about this? Well, it was slightly above average.



Kamina is a great character. I like his devotion to Simon. He's almost like Simon's big brother, guiding and encouraging him to look beyond himself and see his true potential "Don't believe in me. Believe in the you that believes in me."



Simon, is well how should I put it? He's not the person you expect to be the hero.He's cowardly and small.And yet, he becomes the hero due to Kamina's influence.And you root for him all the way.



Then there's Yoko.At first, she seems like nothing more than T and A.But as I got to know her, I saw that she had a good personality.She didn't take Kamina's chauvinism and yet is tolerant enough to like him in spite of this flaw.She is very nurturing toward Simon and her other allies she gains as the story progresses.



The story is not badly animated, however, I am not a fan of the mech designs.They seemed crude and not nearly as good as I've seen in mech anime like Evangelion or Gundam. I guess you could say I've been somewhat spoiled.This was the show's biggest flaw to me.



To sum it up, I have to say the overall story was good.It was well-paced and had great characters.The animation wasn't the best, but it was still watchable.I would still say give it a shot, but it's certainly not the next Gundam or Evangelion.



SUB/DUB: I only watched the dub, which had some good work.



MUSIC/SCORE: Not bad. It was a stirring score that worked well.



VIOLENCE: (7/10)-Mostly mech-style violence.



LANGUAGE: (5/10)-It's pretty heavy on the bad language, mostly d- and s-words.



NUDITY: (4/10) There is a hot springs episode that's almost skippable.And there's Yoko's attire of course.



SEXUALITY: (4/10)-Some crude sexual humor and a rather crude mech design that looks like a talking, er, vagina. Yes, I typed that.



RELIGION: (1/10) One character belongs to a cult who worships a giant robot head, but is actually atheist.



RELATED MEDIA: There are movies that summarize the series.
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment